About Taiyo Okamoto
Taiyo Okamoto grew up across from the ocean in Karatsu, Japan, where he often spent his childhood days twilighting on the seawall; dreamily gazing at the vast sky, crashing waves, and flying fish. He has lived in New York City since 2002.
Painting, tearing, sculpting and collaging various textures of paper, particularly Japanese Inshu mulberry paper, Taiyo creates chigiri-e inspired art from small works to large installations.
Taiyo works in visual art, writing, and acting. He appears in legendary Japanese filmmaker Nobuhiko Obayashi’s “HANAGATAMI”.
• Persona Virtual Group Exhibition at The Holy Art, London UK (2021)
• The Cosmic Vibes Virtual Solo Exhibition at New York Art Wave Project (2021)
• Greenville Country Club Solo Show, Wilmington DE (2021)
• Join Feelings, Suho Memorial Paper Museum in Taipei, Taiwan (2019)
• Sheets: A National Exhibition of Paper Arts, Norfolk VA (2019)
• Art on Paper Art Fair, New York (2019)
• Ashok Jain Gallery Group Show, New York (2018)
• "Hanagatami (Film)" Actor, Japan (2017)
• Ashok Jain Gallery Group Show in New York (2017)
• Jed Williams Gallery Group Show, Philadelphia (2016)
• Ryujin Gallery Solo Show, Brooklyn (2016)
• Greenpoint Gallery Small Work Show, Brooklyn (2014)