About Taiyo Okamoto
Taiyo Okamoto grew up in Karatsu, Japan right across from the ocean, where he spent his childhood days gazing at the vast sky, crashing waves, and flying fish, often sitting on the seawall while twilighting. He's been living in the US since 2002.
Using mulberry paper, particularly Inshu mulberry paper produced in Japan's Tottori Prefecture, Taiyo swims in chigiri-e or hari-e style paper artwork.
Taiyo’s work is multidisciplinary, including visual art, writing, and acting. He appears in legendary Japanese filmmaker Nobuhiko Obayashi’s “HANAGATAMI”.
• Join Feelings, Suho Memorial Paper Museum in Taipei, Taiwan (2019)
• Sheets: A National Exhibition of Paper Arts, Norfolk VA (2019)
• Art on Paper Art Fair, New York (2019)
• Ashok Jain Gallery Group Show, New York (2018)
• "Hanagatami (Film)" Actor, Japan (2017)
• Ashok Jain Gallery Group Show in New York (2017)
• Jed Williams Gallery Group Show, Philadelphia (2016)
• Ryujin Gallery Solo Show, Brooklyn (2016)
• Greenpoint Gallery Small Work Show, Brooklyn (2014)